Monday, May 18, 2009

Simplifing


My biggest frustration from being a stay at home mom and homeschooler is the feeling that I am drowning in my surroundings. With three kids 7 and under at home all the time things can get turned upside down pretty fast. I am quite hard on myself about it because I feel to honor God and my family I need to be a better steward of my time and home. I had a slight breakdown this weekend when after spending a better part of Friday switching between push mowing my large backyard (our riding mower is out of commission right now) and cleaning my kitchen, someone felt the need to walk through the kitchen with muddy boots and not clean it up. I melted down and fled the scene because I needed to cool off. I got in my van with no where in particular to go, but I knew I just didn't need to be at the house. I turned my radio on and while flipping through heard a woman speaking and so I paused a minute to see what she had to say. I instantly started to have a God moment. The reason for me being in the van was to hear what this woman was speaking about. After listening to the 15 minute radio show I called my mom to talk over what I had heard and what I needed to do to get to where I want to be with my home. My mom has a very level head and helped put things in prospective for me. My home is not out of control, it is just lived in. In order for my kids and hubby to respect their surroundings I need to set a better example of organization and give them places to put their belongings when coming home or in from outside or when they are done playing. I need to simplify, purge, get back to basics. So for the next few weeks that is what I will be working on. I will be wearing an apron of course. Say a prayer for me, I might need it!

3 comments:

Seawashed said...

Lisa, I will say a prayer for you tonight. I also want to encourage you that I have been there, right where you are, and I can tell you that ten years from now you will look back and see how adequate you really were. In my first year of homeschooling I had four children 5 and under. I felt very inadequate and unequiped often. But when I would go to an alone place with God(usually my closet...sometimes in my van in the parking lot of a park)He would always show me how good of a wife and mother I was and would lead me into quiet confidence and help me to relax and not worry so much. You are doing a great job. Simplicity helps. But I just want you to know you really are doing a wonderful work just by BEING there, BEING home for your husband and children to LOVE them. Love is the most important thing...it has helped me the most to look at a situation and see if I am loving them, or how can I love more. Love covers the multitude of our sins. Love comforts, heals, cheers, strengthens, lightens, it makes everything better. From what I can see, your home is full of life and love. I know the LORD delights in you!

Lisa said...

Fairmaiden, Thank you so much for your kind words. They help more than you know. I know one day I will look back and wish for the days of fingerprints and toys, I try to tell myself this daily.

angie said...

I feel you! YOU'RE RIGHT THOUGH, THE ONLY WAY TO TAKE CARE OF IT IS TO SIMPLIFY. GOOD THING SCHOOL IS DONE, LOOKS LIKE WE'LL ALL BE SIMPLIFYING FOR A WHILE. THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!