Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Virtues

Do you know how they say "Patience is a virtue"?! Well let me just state that this is one place I will probably never be virtuous. I ordered my Sonlight curriculum last monday, and it was suppose to be here TODAY. Well it is 8:07pm and still no box. I have been pacing like someone waiting for a baby to come and have come to the conclusion that the box is not coming today...

On to my thoughts for this year. I wander over to Skylark once in awhile to see what words of wisdom she might have to say about homeschooling or God or both. Well she posted a great post about focus and a list that followed about what to (let me interrupt this post to say it is 8:13pm and my package just arrived!! The Lord wanted me to realize when i feel like I can wait no more sometimes I still need to wait for his timing not mine. I told the fedex man I could hug him.) focus on in the following year. Follow the link to read her words but what I got out of it was that I need to be content with what God has given me in my life. Not to make resolutions for things I do not have, but learn to be happy with what I do. At least that is what I took from it, you might see something different all together. So here is her list that I have printed out, laminated, and stuck on my fridge to read daily.

These verse topics are referenced (with much appreciation) from a Mars Hill Seattle Women's Event.

My role and duties entail:

Child rearing~ Genesis 1:28 "God blessed them and said to them "Be fruitful and increase in number, fill the earth and subdue it.'"
Training and Teaching Children~ Proverbs 27:8 "She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue."
Making sure my husband is welcomed (and I would add cared for, honored in general)~ Proverbs 27:8 'Like a bird that strays from its nest is a man who strays from his home.'
Caring for the Diet and Nutrition in my home~ Proverbs 31:14-15 'She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar, she gets up while it is still dark;she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.'
Stewardship and the management of our resources~Proverbs 31:16 'She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.'
The Clothing of my family(physical and spiritual through prayer)~ Proverbs 31'When it snows, she has no fear for her household, for all of them are clothed in scarlet.' I have found that this is 99% preparation and planning for me...
Home Decor and organization-creating an atmosphere where relationships can flourish~ Proverbs 31:22 'She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.'
Hospitality Acts 5:42 'And everyday, in the temple and from house to house, they kept right on preaching and teaching Jesus Christ.'
1 Peter 4:8-10 'Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another...be hospitable to one another without complaint.

I think this is a pretty awesome list. It is something I am striving for in the upcoming year!! Now I'm off to open my BOX!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Delena said...

I really appreciated her list, too. In fact, I was going to do the same and post it somewhere I go often....the fridge would probably be the place ;) Glad to hear you got your goods. Its always nice to have work for the little ones.....lots and lots of work.