Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Other Hobbies..

I have been gardening for quite some time. I am not going to claim to be a master gardener it is a learning experience every year. Bit by bit I am getting to know what works in our area. I love to go out there and just putz around for hours. I have quite the tan lines from my tank tops. I must admit I have neglected the inside of my house lately cause I spend so much time tending my garden and fixing the flower beds surrounding it. I have a dream of a nice cottage butterfly garden surrounding my over flowing veggie garden. I would love to have the whole back yard be planted in "rooms" with hidden spots and a beautiful (manmade) stream snaking through for the kids to explore in. But for now I am happy with my 20x22 foot garden area that I am slowly getting into shape. I have layed 23 bags of pea gravel so far and still need about 10 more. People always ask what I do to get my arms so toned, you lug around kids and pick up 40lb bags of dirt, mulch and gravel most days and you see how quick your arms look like Madonnas!!!! Here is a quick snapshot of the progress so far. I did more work tonight that I will take a picture of soon to post. I want to finish spraying my bistro set the lovely "seaside green" color and have the rest of the gravel spread first.



A quick note about the chickens. They are doing great and we are enjoying them more than I would have ever expected. The kids were feeding them bugs they were digging out of the dirt. They sure got a kick out of it. It is so much fun to look in at them and see what they are up to. My littlest guy LOVES to peer in through the side window which is why we have a paver block there. Guess I should look for a better foot stool so he can keep an eye on them!!

No comments: