Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Remembering



Last evening my Grandma went home to be with the Lord. The past week has been a rough one for my mom and family. I was with my Grandma quite a bit as a kid. She and my Grandpa stayed with us for a while in a camper out back. For a while every day over the summer my Grandma and I would play 500 rummy while my Grandpa was at work. She would have her programs on in the back ground and we would sit and play for hours. She never just let me win, we played for real. She also taught me how to crochet, at first all I did was a single crochet and then I kind of forgot about the whole thing. About 9 years ago I decided to give it a try again, but to learn to read the instructions and do a bit more difficult things. So I called my Grandma up and a few days later a "How to Crochet" book showed up in my mail box. I followed those pictures and directions until I became an expert. The pattern I am doing above is one that my Grandma sent me in a stack of vintage knit/crochet books. I have made this baby sweater so many times I've lost count. As I sat in the van this week and crocheted while Avery was at guitar lessons, I thought of my Grandma and how a lot of my memories are of her holding a crochet hook. I hope to some day give that same memory to my kids and grandkids. I'm gonna miss her..........

5 comments:

Donna said...

I talked to your mom, Lisa. Sounds like they're all doing as well as can be expected. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I know all too well how this feels. In fact, the memory is still way too fresh, even after a year and a half. Love you all!

Seawashed said...

It is so hard. But how wonderful that you had that special time with her...My grandparents came to stay with me in the autumn before my grandpa passed away in spring. It meant so much to me to have had that time with him. Sympathy to you.

When you have the time can you send me your email so that I can invite you to my blog...I have gone private...ksseacottage@gmail.com

Janna said...

So sorry about your grandmother, but how wonderful to have such neat memories, especially the crocheting. I'm sure every time you make something thoughts of her will be bound up in it.

Delena said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma. But so happy that you will see her again one day. I have special memories of my grandma and crocheting, too.

dianes said...

So sorry about your grandma Lisa, we will keep in our prayers. We love ya girl.

p.s.I'm so sad Seacottage is private, I loved reading it